The BHTA is one of the most established trade associations, but it has a very modern approach when it comes to protecting customers who are looking to make their lives easier by buying a mobility, rehabilitation or homecare product.
Hundreds of companies are members of the BHTA and they range from a small, local showroom selling items such as scooters, wheelchairs, bathlifts and stairlifts, to the largest manufacturers and suppliers in the UK producing and distributing a vast range of products to help from the most sophisticated orthotic device and pressure care systems to the largest installations such as through floor lifts. When you are looking to buy a piece of mobility equipment, perhaps for the first time, you want to know that you are being given the very best advice and dealing with the best company for your needs.
That’s why you should choose a company that is a member of the BHTA and displays the prestigious BHTA logo. The Department for Transport guidance for users of mobility vehicles says: “We recommend always going to an approved supplier who should also assess your needs and help you to choose the right vehicle” and refers users to BHTA for more information about suppliers.
You’ll find the BHTA logo on the websites of member companies, on their paperwork, their vehicles, displayed in their showrooms and in lots of other places. Being a member of the BHTA means a lot more than simply displaying a badge though as each company has signed up to the BHTA Code of Practice, which is approved by the Chartered Trading Standards Institute. it means that you can be sure of being given the very best customer care, before you buy and afterwards too.
There are lots of things that BHTA companies have to do to protect you if they are to remain a member, but here are a few things that you won’t have to deal with if you choose to buy from them.
- You won’t find yourself being pressurized into buying something that you don’t need or that doesn’t suit you
- You won’t have to spend hours trying to get rid of a salesman in your own home
- You won’t end up spending £1000s more than you need to
- You won’t end up buying a product where assessment is essential for safe use without being offered a professional assessment to make sure it is exactly right for your own circumstances
- You won’t end up paying for something that you don’t receive if the company has a problem